Sunday, March 24, 2019

Week 8: Kenya and Amboseli NP



Hi everyone!



This week we left for KENYA!!! I am currently in this beautiful country and will be here for about another week. Here are all of the exciting things I have done this first week:



On Monday we left early in the morning – 6am! – to commence the 10-hour drive from Moyo Hill to Kilimanjaro Bush Camp in Kenya. We stopped at a fancy store/market where I bought a huge brownie and was really tempted to buy strawberries since I haven’t seen them in two months. I think going here was an example of reverse culture shock! There was a nice of view of Mt. Meru from this store, and as the drive continued, I was able to see the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro far in the distance (and I couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face)! Around Moshi was our “swap” location. After waiting for a little while the Kenya SFS students showed up, and we talked to them for about a half an hour before we swapped cars and went with the Kenya staff. There are only 11 Kenya students to our 26, and similarly there is only 1 guy in their group to the 4 guys in my group (I guess females are more likely to be conservationists). We (the guys) talked to Connor (the Kenya male student) and asked him what it was like being the only dude and also about sports – specifically the upcoming March Madness tournament. He seemed like a really cool guy and I’m excited to hang out with him again when we reconvene in Arusha for our free “city” weekend post-Kenya. After the swap we drove through Moshi towards the border. It was very nice and nostalgic to see the town where I stayed before/after my Kili hike! Once we got to the Kenya-Tanzania border, it took FOREVER to get through customs/paperwork: about three hours! Finally, we drove about a half hour to the camp in the dark, where my vehicle jammed out to a ton of music. Upon arrival, we met all of the staff – they were so warm and friendly, especially the camp director Dr. Okello! Besides all of these new faces, we also had three of our own Tanzania staff make the trip with us: Michael (a driver), Mansuerta (a cook) and Patricia (a cook) – all of which I love! Dinner was also amazing, including CHEESE (man I missed cheese) and mango juice which Dr. Okello poured for all of us himself! He called all of us guys “the bearded ones” and said to my face that “mango juice will make your red beard more lush” LOL!!! The bandas (rooms) that we are staying in are different from the ones in Tanzania. Specifically, there are four beds per banda not in bunk-bed style, meaning that the four wavulana (boys) could room together! There is also no outlets in the bandas, but there are in the large chumba (room) where we eat and have classes. The campus, Kilimanjaro Bush Camp, is newly renovated since the Kenya program just reopened this year after a few year hiatus. The actual campus is much larger than Moyo Hill, with a running track, soccer field, volleyball court and some gazebos within the facility, which is surrounded by an electric fence. Not to mention, it has a STUNNING view of Mt. Kilimanjaro…a view that I missed more than I realized. 

View of the bandas and gazebos at Kilimanjaro Bush Camp, Kenya




On Tuesday we had orientation and a tour in the morning led by Becky, followed by a lecture on the Amboseli ecosystem by Dr. Okello. I cannot emphasize enough how kind this man is! He was the former camp director in Tanzania, has hired many of the current Tanzania staff, and has given lectures around the world! One thing that is different between Tanzania and Kenya is that English is spoken much more frequently here, as it (along with Swahili) is considered one of Kenya’s national languages. Later in the day I played some football in the heat (it’s much hotter here than in Tanzania) and visited the local market in Kimana with everybody. Following this, I took a nap before dinner, and saw some bush babies (a type of small primate) as the sun set!!! After dinner we went on a night hike around campus with Dr. Kioko, who used to teach at Moyo Hill just last year before switching to the Kenya program (he did what Dr. Theisinger does).



On Wednesday, I had cook crew so had to get up early for breakfast. Today we went to Kimana sanctuary, a community-run conservation area, where we did some animal counts with the picturesque view of Kili in the background. Afterwards I tried to read before lunch to no avail (I have read maybe 30 pages of this one book since I’ve been in Africa lol). In the afternoon I played soccer (world cup) and football on the soccer field for at least two and a half hours before going on a small run around campus!!! I had so much fun but was filthy and exhausted by the end. A cold shower afterwards revealed that my skin was actually white and not brown – that’s how dirty I was! After dinner and cook crew we watched a documentary on the projector about elephant poaching in Tanzania and Kenya and efforts being done to fight the poachers. Finally, before going to bed I packed for Amboseli National Park – our first expedition/camping trip while in Kenya!



Amboseli Expedition



Day 1:



On our first day of the expedition we woke up early and drove to the Amboseli National Park gate. Upon arriving, we started a game drive where we practiced identifying birds for our field exercise tomorrow. During this I spent very little time IDing and lots of time looking at wildlife and Mt. Kilimanjaro. We saw a herd of elephants crossing the road, drove past a creepy abandoned lodge and saw so many dust devils (looking out at the landscape you could see one at any given minute). There was a spot where Kili was covered by palm trees in the foreground and it looked like something out of Jurassic Park! One aspect of Amboseli that I liked is that the elephants are very comfortable around people and would walk right in front of the vehicles. One famous elephant (that I only saw from far away) was Tim: a 49-year-old male with tusks that almost touched the ground! He is a “Presidential animal” who is monitored by guards who provide updates every 30 minutes (the President of Kenya is also given updates regularly) - this is in an effort to protect him from poachers. We had lunch at an observation point on a hill followed by a long lecture on the wildlife/terrain of the area. Then, we had a game drive around Amboseli where we saw the prevalent buffalo, elephants and hippos that eat in the deep, swampy regions of the park. There was also a lion that walked right up to some wildebeest but did nothing! At camp that night we spotted a spitting cobra about 10 feet away – they can “spit/shoot” their venom up to 10 feet!!! This added an element of fear around camp but it was still very neat to experience. I was Mawnafunzi of the Day today so for my presentation I taught everyone how to march like a member of the Blue Band. Everyone seemed to have a good time and I’m glad that they liked it! Before going to bed I played code names and bananagrams…





Day 2



Not only does the park have nice views of Kili, but so does our camp! This morning we did our bird identification exercise in the morning. I am personally not good when it comes to birds but I was able to learn a lot from the other students in my vehicle who were knowledgeable about them. We then returned to camp before lunch and had a lecture/talk by an Amboseli warden who told us about park initiatives and responsibilities of the staff. Amboseli is one of the only national parks that allows locals to enter to have their livestock graze due to the high availability of water (runoff from Kili). After lunch we had a lecture on land tenure and policy by Dr. Borona, one of the SFS Kenya professors. Her lecture was very interesting and made me realize that people/communities are just as important as wildlife when considering conservation. We then had another game drive. Off in the distance Kili was completely covered by some ominous black clouds…this combined with numerous dust devils blazing in the sun made the park look like some unreal scene from a movie. It never did rain on us, but we were drenched with lots of wildlife spottings! I saw a serval for the first time (a type of cat), a dead hippo in the water, a hyena nursing her two 8-month old pups (so cute!) and elephants eating at sunset. Speaking of sunset: it was INCREDIBLE. I took too many pictures to count! On the way back to camp I then saw my second serval in the same day! Because of being so far away for the sunset, we had to speed back to camp in the dark since we were (illegally) out past 7pm. This was so much fun and standing with the breeze in my face as darkness covered the landscape made me feel like a little kid – I couldn’t stop smiling! Back at camp I tried to take a shower before bed. Key word: try. The shower head didn’t work so I took my “shower” using the faucet that was about one foot off of the ground.






Day 3:



Today we woke up at 5am for a sunrise hike up to the observation point where we had lunch on day one. We raced the sun in our vehicles and I sprinted up to the top of the observation point to get some decent pictures and a time lapse video. The sunrise was very nice and I was able to look upon it and Mt. Kilimanjaro while eating my packed breakfast. We then went on a small morning game drive where we saw lions AND an oryx which is a very rare ungulate species. Some students also saw some cheetahs but they were practically invisible in the tall grass by the time my vehicle got to their location. We also saw a giraffe that ran unbelievably fast (for a giraffe) when our vehicle approached it. We then returned to camp where camp was packed up and we drove to a lodge where we were treated to a buffet lunch and swimming! The food was once again AMAZING and I loaded up on all of the delectable treats (and two heaping slices of chocolate cake). At the pool I got burned pretty badly – the sun in Kenya is vicious – before heading back to camp and relaxing.



.

.

.

On Sunday, our free day, I went on a hike in the morning. We met up with some armed rangers and drove to this agricultural area where we started. After about 15 minutes our hike became very steep with a loose dirt trail that we basically had to bushwhack through. This led to a stream that consisted of Kilimanjaro runoff water! We followed this stream to a stunning waterfall and cliff area. It was here that we all stuck our feet in the water – it was so crystal clear and cold after all. However, things didn’t stop here. Evan and I decided to jump into the water and go underneath the waterfall, because why not?!? The only problem is that we did this in our regular clothes (I was wearing white cargo shorts lol) so we had to walk back soaking wet and near-hypothermic (near-hypothermic in Kenya is something I thought I’d never say) but it was SOOO worth it and so much fun. We actually got everybody (including Becky) to get in the water with us and as we all dried, we also swung on this huge vine hanging from the cliff. Overall this morning was a 10/10. Once back at camp I mostly relaxed and got some miscellaneous work done as well as set up one of the soccer nets at the field on campus. During dinner there was an earthquake which was later discovered to be 4.8 in magnitude and originated nearby!!! I spent the evening doing my regular activities (typing this blog, calling and Nascar) and packing for our next expedition which starts tomorrow…we’ll be in Tsavo and Chyulu Hills National Parks before spending next weekend in the city of Arusha. It’ll be another busy week but I am excited and grateful for all of these experiences I am having!




Thanks for reading!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment